Too many toys is not a good thing.
Every item in our home requires maintenance and our time. So, every item matters.
Time is a precious gift.
How many toys are too many? How about considering ‘too many’ as the toys that the children play with for less than 10 minutes a day or not at all.
How many baby dolls does a 4 year old need? How many cars and tractors does a 5 year old need?
I have never seen or heard that more toys increase a child’s joy or sense of well – being. In fact, I think that the opposite is true.
So, having said that, what do we do about well meaning family members who want to SHOWER our children with an abundance of gifts for Christmas?
May I suggest that we give careful thought to the toys that enter our home? Maybe, we could politely and respectfully ask the family members to consider purchasing a gift that would make a significant difference in the lives of our children.
Here are 25 gifts that I would suggest:
- Tricycle and bicycle helmets
- Pogo stick / unicycle / skateboard
- Tricycles and bicycles
- An age-appropriate Bible
- An age appropriate Devotional
- A marble roller
- A well built doll house
- A twin doll or special doll
- Age appropriate tools
- A toolbox
- A fishing rod
- Shin guards or other appropriate sports equipment
- Basketball net / pole
- A winter coat and / or winter boots
- Sleeping bags and/ or bedding
- Camping equipment
- Ice skates / sleds
- Swimming lessons / Gymnastic lessons / Ballet lessons
- Tickets for special events
- Coupons for a day trip (a zoo, planetarium, or aquarium etc.)
- A new book or game each month for a year / magazine subscription
- Craft kits
- A CD player and CDs
- Contribution to a bank account / college fund
- Musical instrument / lessons
I’d LOVE to read YOUR favorite gifts!